Regulation (EC)No 1907/2006 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2006 concerning the Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation and Restriction of Chemicals (REACH), which entered into force on 1 June 2007, introduces a number of obligations for manufacturers and importers of substances, preparations (mixtures) and articles. It is extremely important to acquaint recipients of the new law with the obligations which it imposes and to carry out a broad information campaign, consultations and trainings.
Such an aim prevailed the idea of the creation of REACH & CLP Centre at the Industrial Chemistry Institute on
16 October 2006. On 20 January 2009 another regulation, very important for the chemicals’ management and control, entered into force – so called CLP, Regulation (EC) No 1272/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 16 December 2008 on classification, labelling and packaging of substances and mixtures, amending and repealing Directives 67/548/EEC and 1999/45/EC and amending Regulation (EC) No 1907/2006 (REACH).
The importance of this regulation, the introduction of completely new principles of the classification, packaging and labelling for both substances and mixtures, and a direct relation of this legislation to the REACH Regulation, as well as the need of consulting and advisory activities in the new, extended range, have initiated a formal transformation of the REACH Centre into REACH & CLP Centre on 9 October 2009.
WHAT DO WE DO AND HOW
- The website with continuous service, containing information about the current activities of the Centre together with the possibility of using a database and information on current legislation concerning REACH and CLP.
- Booklet concerning the activities of REACH & CLP Centre containing a description of the Centre’s goals and characteristics of the offered services.
- The promotional, information and consulting campaign performed on the basis of phone calls, e-mails and publications in such periodicals as e.g.: Przemysl Chemiczny, Chemik, Polimery.
- Realization of tasks associated with chemicals legislation, including the REACH and CLP systems, in terms of opinion preparation, cooperation with Poland’s Parliament (Sejm), central and local governmental administration, and EU institutions as well as with the European Chemical Industry Council – CEFIC (as a unit facilitating cooperation within the framework of information centers operating in the structure of the chemical industry national federations) and REACH Centrum providing services to the enterprises subjected to REACH Regulation at the European level.
- An interactive database of chemical industry and allied enterprises, and a database of chemical substances.
- FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions – which are developed, updated and managed by ECHA (European Chemicals Agency). This document contains neutral, generally asked questions and answers (partially translated and published on the Centre’s Website).
- Q&A – Questions & Answers on the specific issues related to the problems of individual companies (confidential database).
- Trainings particularly dedicated to the REACH and CLP issues.